ABILENE – As icy conditions threaten to impact portions of West Texas through midday Saturday, motorists are urged to use caution while traveling this holiday weekend.
As of late Friday morning, the National Weather Service has placed the majority of TxDOT’s 13-county Abilene District under either a Winter Weather Advisory or Ice Storm Warning through noon Saturday. TxDOT crews will be working throughout the duration of this winter weather event, monitoring state roadways and treating icy patches as needed.
Motorists can obtain the latest road conditions by visiting DriveTexas.org or by calling (800) 452-9292. Drivers are urged to use extreme caution because of the potential for black ice, which appears as dry pavement. Ice on bridges and overpasses will be a concern in the impacted areas.
Drivers are urged to follow these precautions:
- Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions. Do not use cruise control.
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for personnel and equipment treating roadways, and stay at least 200 feet back from road crews.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- Carry extra warm coats, gloves and boots in case you get stranded.
- If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction, and then straighten your vehicle.