Dering Denied Appeal

Taylor Dwayne Dering, who was convicted of the April 13, 2012 sexual assault of an 88 year old Anson woman, appeared in the 11th District Court of Appeals in Eastland on March 26th. In the case Taylor Dwayne Dering, Appellant v. THE STATE OF TEXAS, Appellee; Dering’s lawyer argued that the trial court erred when it refused to consider social media evidence at the hearing on his motion to transfer venue. The Facebook posts offered were not made by the appellant or sent by the appellant. All that the appellant offered in terms of authenticity were the names and photos as shown on the accounts of the owner and posters. The court determined that without more, this evidence is insufficient to support a finding of authenticity, and the trial court's judgment is affirmed.

Dering was arrested on April 13, 2012 when around noon he approached the house of an 88-year-old Anson woman and asked her about an older vehicle in the back of her house. When she told him she was not willing to sell it, he forced his way into the house and sexually assaulted the resident. The victim called 911 at approximately 1:15 PM and described to Anson Police Department a blonde, white male in his mid-20s. She was then transported to Hendricks Medical Center for treatment where a Sane Exam confirmed a sexual assault.

Through the process of collecting evidence and information of people working in the area of the woman's house, the Anson PD began looking for a white bicycle and then another tip led officers to suspect Taylor Dering.

Dering, who has been charged with 3 counts of sexual assault in July of 2011 in Panola County, was wearing an ankle GPS device. Two of the counts are against an adult, one against a child. Upon contacting Panola County, Anson PD learned that the GPS device pinged at the approximate time and location where the sexual assault occurred.

After securing warrants, Anson Police Department, Jones County Sheriff Office, Callahan County Sheriff John Windham, and the Texas Rangers apprehended Dering and brought him to the Jones County Sheriff’s Office for questioning.

Dering pled guilty to the crime and on November 29th he was convicted by a jury and sentenced to 80 years in prison. 

Write a comment

Comments: 0