ABILENE – Some roadways across TxDOT’s Abilene district are beginning to develop ice in some areas. Drivers throughout the district’s 13 counties should use caution and remember to drive to conditions. Counties in the Abilene district include Borden, Callahan, Fisher, Haskell, Howard, Jones, Kent, Mitchell, Nolan, Scurry, Shackelford, Stonewall and Taylor.
At this time, roadways in Fisher, Mitchell, Nolan and Scurry Counties are seeing the most impact from this winter weather event. TxDOT crews are monitoring and treating roadways, intersections and structures in an effort to reduce ice accumulation and increase traction on slick pavement as needed.
The safety of the traveling public is TxDOT’s priority. Motorists should avoid traveling in winter conditions, but if they must, they should observe these winter safety tips:
· Drive slowly, with cruise control turned off and using smooth steering movements. It’s harder to control or stop your vehicle on a slick or snow-covered surface.
· Increase your following distance to allow plenty of time to stop for vehicles ahead.
· Accelerate and brake gently using slow, steady strokes to test traction. Approach turns slowly.
· Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas, as they tend to freeze first. If you find yourself in a skid, stay calm and ease your foot off the gas while carefully steering into the direction of the skid until you regain traction.
· Watch for road crews in large, slow moving vehicles as they treat roadways. Be sure to give them plenty of room.
For road conditions call the TxDOT road conditions hotline at 1-800-452-9292 or visit www.drivetexas.org.