Pierre Paul Berthelot was Stamford’s first mayor, elected in 1901, serving only one term. Born in Saint Scholastique, Quebec, Canada on June 29, 1870, Mr. Berthelot immigrated to the United States in approximately 1890. On October 14, 1895 his sister Amelia married E.P. Swenson and thus began a long family and work relationship.
In the fall of 1899 he came to Stamford as manager of the Stamford Townsite Company. He met Lou Ella Hall, a well-known Stamford socialite, and they married on February 17, 1905 at the Stamford Inn. Mr. Berthelot’s mother, Herminie Berthelot, was seriously ill at the time and requested that they hold the ceremony in her room.
The Berthelots were active in the community of Stamford. She served as president of the Flower Club, and he in the Rotary Club. The Berthelot’s only child, Paul, was born October 4, 1905.
In addition to being the manager of the Stamford Townsite Company, Mr. Berthelot also worked with the Swenson brothers on their various operations. Upon leaving the Stamford Townsite Company, he remained in Stamford and worked at the Stamford Oil Mill, the Stamford Water Works and then S.M.S. Ranches, until he became blind.
Census records show the Berthelots resided at 315 East Davenport and 111 North Ferguson. Mr. Berthelot became seriously ill and suffered a fall in early 1933, breaking his hip. He passed away on March 2, 1933 and is buried at HighlandCemetery.